Inaugural Blog Post

Greetings Twitter followers! This is the format in which I have chosen to communicate the various topics in which I am interested in in a longer form format. Or in other words: I now have a blog!

I'm not sure about what to do with it first, so I thought I'd start with something fun: I'm gonna recommend some things I've been watching on YouTube to you.

I didn't want to recommend all of them to you-I want to save some for future posts, see if we can make this a regular feature.

How to Get Vintage Game Consoles to look and play great on a modern TV

For my first recommendation, some of you may know that I have an interest in playing retro video games. Roughly a year and a half ago I started to dig up all my old video game consoles and I realized I was actually missing some of my old hook up cables, and while I was researching replacing them, I learned, fortuitously as it turns out, that the way we used to hook up old game consoles will usually look pretty bad-and play worse-on modern flat panel displays, which stretch, blur, and process the low definition, lossy analog video output, and in the process add substantial input lag between your button presses and action happening on screen. I quickly found myself on a journey for a richer, modern gaming experience-which proved admittedly expensive, at least partly because I decided to make setting myself with a full game room set up. I made compromises to cut costs here and there but ultimately ended up in a decent mid-range place and a nostalgic experience I'm quite pleased with-or in at least some cases, fake nostalgia, as I've even added consoles I never actually had growing up to the set up.

The most invaluable resource to me (though not the only one, but I'll feature some of those in later episodes) was My Life In Gaming's RGB Master Class video series, which earns them my first recommendation for YouTube content you might find useful, interesting, or entertaining

I never knew Myrmecology could be so fascinating

My next recommendation is a little weirder, so I hope you get a sense for how eclectic this series will be.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I discovered a YouTube channel run by a Canadian Idol contestant who keeps ant farms in the Philippines, but I'm glad I did because I can't believe how fascinating it is to watch videos about...Ants.

The channel, AntsCanada doesn't have a trailer, so I guess you could start at the beginning and learn, often along *with* the creator, more than you ever thought you wanted to know about these insects.

Touchy Typist Touch Types Terrific and Terrible Typing Tools

Do you enjoy old computer equipment? Typing? Accents? Creative swearing? AMSR?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, or even if you didn't, you may find Chryrosan22's keyboard review channel fascinating and enjoyable. I'll recommend in particular checking out one of my favorite videos, about the keyboard I would most like to own one day

As It Turns Out The Guy With A Jiminy Cricket Avatar Likes Disney Related Stuff

And I also live in Florida, of course, so I've been to Disney World on more than one occasion. There are multiple YouTube channels I could recommend to you with fascinating information you might not know about Disney's parks, but today I'm going to recommend Rob Plays, who does videos almost exclusively about Disney and seems to know more than almost anyone else. I've mentioned on twitter before I think why Disney's water rides have a distinctive, but not "chlorine" smell to their water, and why that is, so I think I'll recommend to you the video I learned about that from.

Stay tuned for another post this Sunday, and until then, I hope you enjoy my recommendations!

Comments